Alexa helps customers around the world simplify daily tasks, access the entertainment they love, and control everything from room temperature to home security. Today, millions of customers have more than 20 devices connected to Alexa, and we want to make it as easy as possible for them to manage and use the devices in their home. What’s more, each month we see that customers perform billions of actions on the Alexa app, and smart home controls is one of the most used features. So, we refreshed the Alexa app to bring smart home front and centre and enable customers to access their most-used devices and features within 1-2 taps.
We began rolling out updates to the Alexa app earlier this year, starting with a new Home Shortcuts Bar and bringing Device Favourites to the Home Page. We have since added even more new features—all designed to get you access to the most relevant information and controls quickly. Here’s a look at the latest:
- Favourites: Favourites is now easily accessible on the Home page, giving you quick access to your most used devices and features like your shopping or to-do lists, and recently played music. Device types supported by Favourites include Echos, lights, plugs, switches, locks, cameras, thermostats, and temperature sensors, with more to come.
- Home Shortcuts Bar: A new Shortcuts bar on the Home page organises devices by category, and shows popular Alexa features like shopping lists, alarms, and Routines. You can customise what you see in the rotating carousel at the top of the Home page. Plus, you can now see the state of your connected devices—like how many lights are on or the temperature in your living room—directly from Shortcuts. These device state updates are available if you have 20 or fewer devices, and will expand to customers with additional devices in the coming months.
- Streamlined Activity Section: Activity cards show time sensitive information, such as timers, upcoming alarms, or reminders you’ve set. These are now stacked so they are easy to find but no longer take up as much space on the Home page.
- Chat and Type with Alexa: We’ve streamlined the ability to talk to or type to chat with Alexa in a single location in the Alexa app. Just tap the blue chat indicator on any page of the Alexa app to bring up a holistic chat experience, see full-screen visual responses, and get suggested conversation prompts.
- New Search Controls: The Devices page now lets you filter content by device type, sort devices by newest, oldest, or alphabetically, and search for devices by name or key words.
With these updates, customers will be able to access their favourite features, easily control their devices, and jump into device settings in just a few taps. They are available to check out now in the Alexa iOS and Android mobile apps—we can’t wait to hear what you think.