· Amazon.in saw the single largest day of Prime sign-ups, with 66% of Prime members shopping in 24 hours coming from tier 2 & 3 towns
· More customers shopped on Amazon.in than ever before, with 91% of new customers coming from tier 2 & 3 towns; Fashion attracted the most new customers closely followed by smartphones
· More than 400 million Indians had access to cashback and EMI offers on Amazon.in with 100% more customers opting for EMI over last year, and 75% of these coming from tier 2& 3 cities
· Biggest opening 36 hours ever for sellers as tens of thousands of sellers see at least one order; Karigar sellers witness a 3X jump in sales
· Affordability programs enabled record number of customers upgrade to premium phones; sales from premium brands OnePlus, Samsung & Apple exceeded INR 750 crores within 36 hours
· Large appliances & TVs saw record sales over the 36 hours with nearly 10X* growth led by brands like Whirlpool, Samsung, IFB and LG.
· Customers enjoyed India’s most awaited TV launches like 55” QLED OnePlusTV and Indian brand Vu TVs while Mi 50 4k flash Sales sold out in under 30 seconds
· Echo Dot was amongst the highest selling products, seeing the biggest 24-hour sale period for Echo Devices ever; 4X more Amazon devices sold in 36 hours compared to last year
· Fashion grew nearly 5X while India's largest beauty store on Amazon.in saw a huge surge in demand with around 7X* jump in sales
· Groceries grew 3.5X over an average business day with enough oil to light up 10MM diyas
(*over an average business day)
Amazon.in flagged off the biggest ever 36 hours of shopping with Prime Early Access and day 1 of the Great Indian Festival to see more shoppers and sellers participate in it than ever before. Amazon.in saw the single largest day of Prime membership sign-ups, with 66% of Prime members shopping in 24 hours coming from tier 2 & 3 towns. There were more new shoppers online than ever, of which more than 91% came from tier 2 & 3 towns.
“We are humbled that first 36 hours of our Great Indian Festival has seen record participation from digital Bharat. With record Prime signups, more first-time shoppers from small towns than ever before and tens of thousands of small sellers across India already seeing success, we are excited by how India loves Amazon’s commitment to offer largest selection, great convenience and exceptional value to its customers.” said Amit Agarwal, Global Senior Vice President and Country Head, Amazon India.
Amazon Great Indian Festival this year showcased the largest ever selection of products, including a million unique products from emerging small & medium businesses (SMBs) & start-ups and over 55,000 artisan products across more than 270 unique arts & crafts from 20 states.
Amazon.in continued to see great customer response in key categories – premium smartphone brands OnePlus, Samsung and Apple made record sales worth about INR 750 crores in 36 hours and large appliances & TVs showed a growth of nearly 10X over an average business day. Echo Devices saw 4x in the last 36 hours compared to previous year with Echo Dot was amongst the highest selling products on Amazon.in. Customers showed keen interest in smart-home products, and the number of customers who bought smart lights with Echo was 10X more than last year. Customers enjoyed offers on Fire TV Stick and it was once again among the highest selling deals on Amazon.in with 50X increase in sales over an average business day.
More customers opted for EMI offerings as it saw a 100% uptake increase with an increase of 100% in customers. Of these, 75% were from Tier 2 and 3 towns. Customers across 720 cities corresponding to 10,000 +pin-codes could trade in and upgrade everything from their old phone, appliances, and TV.
Overall scale, Reach and customer response
· Largest number of new customers shopped for fashion, smartphones and groceries
· 91% of new customers came from Tier II, Tier III & below geographies
· 43% of all ordered placed so far will get delivered within 2 days
Prime continues to thrill customers
· Prime members shopped more during Prime Early Access than on any other day
· More single day Prime sign ups than ever before
· Amazon.in saw the largest seller base simultaneously participate in the Great Indian Festival ever – 50% were from tier II and below geographies. In just the last 60 days, nearly 20,000 new sellers have launched to participate during Diwali.
· Over 42,500 sellers received at least one customer order (23% higher than last year) in the first 36 hours of the sale making this the largest number of such sellers than ever before.
· Over 2500 sellers recorded their highest ever sale on a single day
· Some top emerging brands were - Wellcare India (50X) growth, Bangalore Refinery (30X), 1-More (19X), Durafit (20X), Hoffen (8X), Tagg (8X), Crossbeats (12X)
· Some top performing Karigar (artisan and weavers) sellers were - Tribes India (5.5X), Ikkat Peacock (5.3X), Indian Blue Art Pottery (3.1X), Naanjil (3X), Kashi Sarees (5.1X)
Shopping made more affordable
· Partnering with India’s largest bank SBI, more than 400 million Indians had access to cashback and EMI offers on Amazon.in
· EMIs saw an increase of 100% in customers with 75% coming from Tier 2 and 3 cities.
· 3 out of 4 customers availed No Cost EMI offers; 2 out of 3 products were sold on No Cost EMIs. Number of customers availing credit increased by 2X over the festive period last year.
· 1 out of 4 purchases were made on EMI making Amazon.in the most affordable destination this festive season. 1 out of 8 EMI customers utilized the down-payments facility that is available on all products only on Amazon.in
Categories customers loved
· Customers loved our new selection from top brands Samsung, Apple, OnePlus, Xiaomi, Vivo. A total number of 8 new launches lined up this festive season.
· Brands OnePlus, Samsung and Apple alone clocked together clocked over 750 crores in the first 36 hours.
Large Appliances & TVs
· Customers had access over 2,500 appliances, the largest selection in the country both offline and online. Large appliances & TVs saw record sales over the first two days with almost 10X* growth led by brands like Whirlpool, Samsung, IFB and LG. (*over average business day)
· Customers enjoyed India’s most awaited launches in TVs on Amazon.in - 55” QLED OnePlusTV and Indian brand Vu TVs. in every 2 Premium TVs sold in India were on Amazon.in. Mi 50 4k flash sales sold out in under 30 seconds.
· Every 1 out of 3 fully automatic washing machines being sold in India was on Amazon.in. Every 2 out of 3 side-by-side refrigerator sold in India was on Amazon. Every 1 in 2 Dishwashers being sold is now on Amazon.in
Fashion & Beauty
· India's largest Beauty store on Amazon.in saw a huge surge in demand with around 7X jump in sales (over an average business day) led by Makeup products, daily care essentials like Shampoos and conditioners and Perfumes by international brands.
· Amazon Fashion saw a whopping 4.6X Jump in unit sales. Apparel grew 4X, Shoes 7X, Watches 5X Luggage 5X and Jewellery saw a 2X increase in unit sales
· Apparel was led by formal wear followed by Saris. Max Fashion was the largest single brand selection on with a 3X jump with their festive collection
· Other top performing included Levis, Van Heusen, Peter England , W for Woman, Vero Moda and Only.
· The category has grown by over 3.5X over an average business day led by daily essentials such as Oil, Ghee, baby products among others
· We sold 4X more Echo devices compared to previous year, and Echo Dot was amongst the highest selling products on Amazon.in.
· Customers showed keen interest in smart-home products, and the number of customers who bought smart lights with Echo was 10X more than last year.
· Once again, Fire TV Stick is one of the highest selling products on Amazon.in with a 50X growth versus average business day.
· Customers also showed keen interest in Alexa built-in devices by top brands such as Sony, TCL. saw a 50X growth over average business day
· Readers across the country loved offers on Kindle with a 20X growth over average business day
· 1.8x increase in flight bookings by prime members as compared to an average business day.
· During Prime Early Access (PEA) 1 in 3 every electronic transaction was using Amazon Pay Balance for a convenient one click payment
· 1.2x more prime customers did their recharge/bill payments during the PEA of GIF 2019 as compared to an average business day
Varun Alagh, CEO, Mamaearth and proud Amazon Seller said “Thanks to Amazon’s reach Mamaearth sold more than 10K units to over 200 cities in first 24 hours of Great Indian Festival delivering almost 1000% growth over last year. And as they say, it’s just Day 1.”
Rajiv Suri, Customer Care Associate, Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer, Shopper Stop Limited commented, “This Diwali, we have continued to double down on delivering a strong festive flavour for all our customers across India who shopped on Day 1 of the Great India Festival on Amazon.in. Customers from across the country have reacted very positively to the exciting deals that Shoppers Stop had on offer on Day 1 of the event across Fashion, Beauty, Watches, Footwear and Bags and we saw a 5X jump vs daily orders, with a large percentage of orders coming from Tier 2&3 cities.”
Behind the scenes
It's finally here - the Great Indian Festival. Look what went behind the scenes and witness the energy levels of Amazonians before the big day. Also, hear our leaders speak on the huge preparations that went on...
And the #AmazonGreatIndianFestival is LIVE! pic.twitter.com/tbG96QTXn9— Amazon India News (@AmazonNews_IN) September 28, 2019
If you haven’t started shopping yet, Manish Tiwary, Vice President - Category Management @amazonIN has a message for you! #AmazonGreatIndianFestival pic.twitter.com/0kY55fyM1O— Amazon India News (@AmazonNews_IN) September 28, 2019
Kishore Thota, Director, Customer Experience & Marketing @amazonIN is on top of his festive shopping. Have you made your festive wish list? #AmazonGreatIndianFestival pic.twitter.com/qylPABc3cF— Amazon India News (@AmazonNews_IN) September 28, 2019
Ever wondered what happens #behindthescenes at the #AmazonGreatIndianFestival? The @amazonIN war room is buzzing with activity! Our team is hard at work to help make your shopping experience seamless this festive season. pic.twitter.com/qco5uLMr6e— Amazon India News (@AmazonNews_IN) September 28, 2019
.@amazonIN customers and sellers across the country are ready for the #AmazonGreatIndianFestival. What are you shopping for this festive season? #AmazonFestiveYatra pic.twitter.com/npXM6W7FCw— Amazon India News (@AmazonNews_IN) September 27, 2019