The first 48 hours of Amazon's Great Indian Festival 2023 saw the biggest ever shopping activity, with the highest orders, transactions, and visits from customers. With 9.5 crore customer visits, Prime members shopped 18x more in the first 24 hours of Prime Early Access (PEA) than average daily purchase. It was the best-ever start to the festive season for seller partners, with more than 35% increase in small and medium businesses securing sales within the initial 48 hours.
The first 48 hours of Amazon Great Indian Festival 2023 has been absolutely remarkable! We are elated to witness the biggest ever opening with record customer visits, and highest number of Prime members shopping during the 24 hours of Prime Early Access.
"I’m thrilled to share our customer transactions and orders were the highest ever for Amazon.in, along with highest seller participation, and most product launches from top brands. With top deals & offers, great savings, unmatched delivery speeds and convenience of variety of payment options, we will continue to delight customers through the month-long celebration. A big thank you to our customers, brand and bank partners, sellers and delivery associates, for this euphoric start to Amazon Great Indian Festival 2023” says Manish Tiwary.
It's a seller-bration!
- The Great Indian Festival 2023 kicked-off with unmatched excitement for our sellers. It marked the best-ever start to the event, as sellers across India achieved success, with over 65% of them hailing from tier 2 and 3 cities
- Gearing up for the festivities, tens of thousands of sellers registered on Amazon.in in last 2 months; Amazon.in now has 14 lakhs seller partners in India
- More than 35% increase in small and medium businesses securing sales within the initial 48 hours as compared to 2022—a new record!
- Women entrepreneurs and artisans showcased an extensive range of products and sold over 18 products every minute
- Under the Make in India approach, the D2C Indian start-up eco-system made early in-roads into tier 2 and 3 markets with customers preferring home décor, fashion and beauty, and furniture products
- 4 out of every 5 smartphones sold in the first 48 hours were 5G ready
- Prime Members purchased more than more than 75 smartphones per second in the first hour of sale during Prime Early Access
- Amongst all smartphones sold, 75% were purchased by customers coming from Tier 2 -3 cities/towns and beyond
- OnePlus, Samsung, and Apple emerged as the most preferred smartphone brands amongst others.
- Customer purchased more than 100 OnePlus smartphones every minute in the first 48 hours for the sale (2.5x more than 2022).
- Samsung drove premium phone demand, with their flagship Galaxy S Series growing 3x over the last year
- Premium smartphones (> ₹30,000), witnessed 3x growth versus last year, driven by easy affordability options such as No Cost EMI and attractive Exchange offers
- As per a recent report by Counterpoint*, Amazon is the top preferred online channel for those planning to make online purchases
Pay, Scan and do more with Amazon Pay
- Amazon Pay UPI sign-ups grew the highest ever since launch at 37% YoY
- India flew with Amazon Pay and saw over 2.5x increase in flight bookings
- The Amazon Pay ICICI co-branded credit card usage grew 65%, giving customers 5% unlimited cashback rewards
- Of the credit/ lending products, instalments emerged as the best-ever since last year by 60%; 1 in 4 shopping orders placed on instalments; 3 in 4 EMI orders had No Cost EMIs
- More than 35 crore Indians had access to instant bank discount offers on SBI credit and debit cards; customers could avail 10% instant bank discount up to ₹33,000 on SBI credit and debit cards and EMI transactions
Premium gadgets see spike in demand
- Customer shopped for 35% more premium smartwatches in the first 48 hours as compared to last year
- 10 premium noise-cancelling headphones were bought by customers every minute
- Tablets saw a 2x spike in demand, with laptops seeing a 40% increase as compared to last year
Buying home appliances made easy with no-cost EMI
- Over 70% of customers availed affordability benefits; with the newly launched ₹99 per day no-cost EMI offer saw the highest adoption across premium brands
- Over 1.2 lakh customers bought their first appliance on Amazon.in during the first 48 hours
- More than one appliance was bought by customers every second; almost half bought a premium appliance
- The most loved appliances were side-by-side refrigerators with 4x more sales, and front load washing machines with 2x more as compared to last year
India upgrades to 4K TVs
- Customers shopped for one TV per second with 80% of all orders coming from Tier 2 and 3 cities/towns; 4K TVs were the most preferred
- 1 in every 3 TV shoppers availed the No Cost EMI option to make their purchase affordable
- Demand for large screen TVs witnessed a record growth of 260% YoY
Non-metros opt for premium brands
- In the first 48 hours of GIF, Amazon Fashion witnessed over 5X growth with customers shopping from top brands with premium and D2C brands seeing 10X more demand
- Amazon Beauty witnessed a spike of more than 6X from makeup and premium beauty brands
- Over 80% of new customers came from non-metro cities
- More than half of all sales on Amazon Fashion were from Tier 2/3 cities and towns
- We saw 2X growth in Fashion jewellery, 3.5X in Beauty essentials, 10X growth in sarees under ₹199, 6X growth in polo t-shirts under ₹299 and 6X growth in sports shoes
High demand for daily grocery needs
Over 2x customers shopped for their daily grocery needs from Amazon Fresh. There was a 3x jump in customers shopping for the first time, and a 3x jump in new customers coming from Tier 2 cities.
Everyday essentials made easy
- Customers loved the wide selection curated for the festive season and purchased more than 1.5x more daily essential products as compared to last year
- India shopped big for dry fruits and nuts, and witnessed 5x more demand compared to last year
- Customer also purchased the highest ever number of disposable diapers in the last 48 hours
India rejigs home purchases
- Customers’ love for the planet and sustainability was evident as electric vehicles saw a 25x increase and an 8x increase in solar panels
- Home automation, including robotic vacuum cleaners and BLDC (Brush-Less Direct Current) fans, saw 4x more demand
- 12.5x increase across sofas, wardrobes, recliners, and beds
- Customers love renovating their homes; there was a 5x growth on paints and a 4x spike in kitchen and bath fixtures, driven by Tiers 2 and 4 cities across top brands
- Customers appreciated Amazon.in's convenient doorstep services, with a notable 3x rise in service utilization across all key categories
B2B customers prefer buying with Amazon Business
- In the first 24 hours, Amazon Business witnessed the highest number of new customer sign-ups in a single day this year
- In the first 48 hours, Amazon Business saw 200% YoY growth in bulk orders; spend per customer on Amazon Business grew by approximately 1.4x YoY
Toys and games see a rise
- LEGO bestsellers saw a 15x surge in demand, while the Sony PlayStation5 saw a 9x surge in the first 48 hours
- Highest traction was for the outdoor toys category, with over 70% increase on the selection of Ride-ons by Toyzone, Amazon brands, and more
Click here to check out exciting deals and offers during the Amazon Great Indian Festival 2023.
*This survey was commissioned by Amazon India to understand people’s smartphone purchase preferences this festive season. Counterpoint Research conducted this survey in Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities to capture a sample size of more than 1,200 respondents. An online survey was performed to collect quantitative insights from those respondents in the 18-35 age group who plan to purchase a smartphone this festive season. We expect the results to have a statistical precision of +/- 4%