And it's a wrap! Amazon Prime Day 2022 in India came to a successful close this past weekend (July 23-24). Prime members across India discovered joy at the two-day celebration with the best deals, savings, new launches, blockbuster entertainment, and more. Members from 95% of the pin codes in India made purchases during this year’s Prime Day, and over 27,000 sellers saw their highest ever sales day.
Over 1.5x more customers signed up for Prime membership compared to last year, with 2 out of 3 new members joining from towns and cities like Rourkela, Mokokchung, Kullu, Dholpur, Nagapattinam, Tonk, Sehore, Kanchipuram, Raebareli, Ramgarh, Thanjavur, Sawai Madhopur, Yamuna Nagar.
India’s Prime Day entertainment line-up on Prime Video was loved by consumers within and outside the country. Prime members from over 3,800 Indian cities and towns, and in over 230 countries and territories, have watched India’s Prime Day releases on Prime Video.
Commenting on the success of the event, Akshay Sahi, Director, Prime and Delivery Experience, Amazon India said, "Prime Day is a celebration of our Prime members and small and medium businesses, and we are truly humbled by their participation. We had thousands of deals, 500+ new product launches from brand partners and sellers, and exciting blockbuster entertainment, which our customers loved. The strong growth of new Prime member sign-ups, especially from smaller towns and cities across India, is a strong testament to Amazon Prime's commitment to provide unmatched value to our members, every day."
Nearly 70% of the sellers who received an order this Prime Day were from Tier 2, 3, 4 cities like Kolhapur, Surat, Ghaziabad, Raipur, Coimbatore, Mangalore, Jalandhar, and Cuttack. These sellers included artisans, weavers, women entrepreneurs, start-ups and brands, and local offline neighbourhood stores. Over 27,000 sellers saw their highest ever sales day. Nearly 18% more sellers grossed sales over INR 1 crore, and close to 38% more sellers grossed sales of over 1 lakh vs Prime Day 2021. Local neighbourhood shops that sell on Amazon.in witnessed 4x sales growth. Start-ups and brands under the Amazon Launchpad program witnessed a growth of 3x. Customers enthusiastically chose to buy genuine Indian handlooms and handicrafts, as artisans, weavers, and artisanal brands from Amazon Karigar witnessed nearly 4.5x sales uplift. Women entrepreneurs under the Amazon Saheli program doubled their sales.
In 2021, Amazon introduced a new leadership principle: Success and Scale Bring Broad Responsibility. Staying true to this principle, the company has taken several steps to build more sustainable operations across the country. This Prime Day, Amazon deployed a large fleet of electric vehicles on Indian roads—up 4.5x from last year—to deliver tens of thousands of packages to customers covering more than 160,000 kilometres.
Highlights from Prime Day 2022
● Groceries, Beauty, Apparels, Smartphones, Home & Kitchen, Personal Computing, Electronics and Shoes categories were among those that saw the most success in terms of units sold
● Top selling consumer electronic brands across laptops, smartwatches, headphones & speakers, computer accessories, tablets, and other categories were HP, Lenovo, Asus, Apple, Boat, Noise, and Sony
● Prime members were in favour of upgrading their large appliances and bought front load washing machines, double door and side-by-side refrigerators, inverters, and ACs from top selling brands like Samsung, LG, Whirlpool, Bosch, and IFB
● A member favourite was the exchange option for large appliances, which saw ~1.5x adoption compared to a regular shopping day
● Furniture was a customer favourite category, and members bought furniture every 1.8 seconds. A piece of seating furniture was sold every 5 seconds, and a piece of bedroom furniture was sold every 10 seconds! Members also bought a mattress every 13 seconds. Every second piece of large furniture sold during the event was Quality verified
● The most loved categories in the Kitchen category were robotic vacuum cleaners, water heaters, and mixer grinders, across brands like Bajaj, Prestige, Havells, Philips, Crompton, Usha, and Pigeon
● Members were delighted with great offers on treadmills, cycles, and badminton racquets, and the most loved brands in this category were Vector 91, Lifelong, Yonex, and Powermax
● Members loved the new launches and offers across Sports Nutrition products (Optimum Nutrition, Big Muscles Nutrition, etc.), and Vitamin and Ayurvedic Supplements (FastnUp, Kapiva etc.)
● Members stocked up their pantries as they loved offers on household essentials like diapers, detergents, dry fruits, toothpastes, and more. These saw over 5x growth over a regular shopping day. Members were also interested to know more about the Liquid Detergent Concentrate from Surf Excel, which was a Prime Day special launch
● Men’s t-shirts and polos, denims, kurtis, tops, and dresses for women, designer-wear, and clothing for kids were some of the most-loved fashion categories. We saw almost 10x growth over a normal shopping day for customer favourite brands like Biba, Allen Solly, Levi’s, AND, Vero Moda, Arrow, Pepe Jeans, Hopscotch, Global Desi, and many more
● Beauty and self-care were also a priority for Prime members. Top-selling beauty brands were Himalaya, Biotique, Nivea, Mamaearth, Head & Shoulders, Dove, Fogg, Maybelline, Sugar Cosmetics, and luxury beauty brands were Bath and Body Works, Forest Essentials, Kama Ayurveda, L’Oreal Professionnel, The Body Shop, and Nautica
● Top selling brands in smartphones included OnePlus, Redmi, Samsung, iQOO, Apple and Realme. Even with the introduction of 5G phones in the budget segment of under 10K, customer focus was on upgrading from 4G to 5G technology. The share of 5G phones also increased in the price segment of 15-20K, while the premium segment has already transitioned to 5G technology
● Prime members enjoyed incredible savings on Amazon Devices, with customers buying a Fire TV, Echo, or Kindle every second. Fire TV Stick and Echo Dot were among the top 5 best-selling products during Prime Day
● Alexa continued to make homes smarter—almost 3 out of 4 Echo customers got started on their smart home journey this Prime Day with Alexa smart home bundles
● One in every 10 smartwatch and one in every 6 smartphones sold this Prime Day was Alexa enabled
● Customers loved upgrading their TV viewing experience—AmazonBasics Fire TV was among the top-selling smart TVs during Prime Day
Customers asked over 7.5M questions to Alexa during Prime Day on the Amazon Shopping app (Android). This included searching for products, best deals, information about new launches, bill payments, listening to Prime Music, and more.
Entertainment & More
● All the movies released during the lead-up to Prime Day saw great consumer response, becoming some of the most watched films in their respective languages in just a few days
● Within just 3 days of its launch on Prime Video, Jug Jugg Jeeyo became one of the most watched Hindi movies of 2022 on the service, with audiences in over 210 countries and territories tuning in to watch the film
● Sarkaru Vaari Paata (Telugu) was loved by audiences across the country. The film received huge pan-India viewership, and over 60% of viewers were from outside home states. With this, Prime Video continued its mission of helping expand the linguistic palette of viewers in India and giving great content unprecedented reach
● In another example of Prime Video helping great stories travel further, Prime Day surprise entertainment release F9: The Fast Saga was watched in over 2,500 cities and towns across India, within just 3 days of launch
● In the lead up to Prime Day, the most streamed songs on Amazon Prime Music were Kesariya (from Brahmastra) by Arijit Singh, Pritam, and Amitabh Bhattacharya in Hindi, Kalaavathi (From Sarkaru Vaari Paata) by Thaman S and Sid Sriram in Telugu, and Vikram by Anirudh Ravichander in Tamil
● Prime members listened to music on Amazon Prime Music in over 50 languages (20+ Indian and 30+ International languages) during this period
● Amazon Prime Music exclusively launched 2 brand new global playlists in Hindi and Telugu across India and international markets like the UK, US, Canada, Germany, and Australia. The Hindi playlist called Desi Vibes (starring popular artists such as Shreya Ghoshal, Armaan Malik, Amaal Mallik, A. R. Rahman, and more) debuted at #3 on the Hindi charts. Fully Tolly, a one stop destination for the most recent, trending, and top requested Telugu songs, ranked #4 on the Telugu charts. Amazon Prime Music also launched Fresh Indie, a playlist designed to feature new independent music and emerging artists, which ranked #1 in the Indie genre
● Prime members streamed podcasts in Hindi, English, Tamil, Telugu, Bengali and other languages. The Top 5 podcasts streamed during the lead up were The Stories of Mahabharata, Detective Vikrant, KadhaiPodcast's Ponniyin Selvan, The Desi Crime Podcast, and Sadhguru
● Prime Reading eBook borrowing customers increased by 52%, with a 66%+ increase in first time borrowing. Indian authors like Chetan Bhagat, Dinesh Veera, and Radhakrishnan Pillari were some of the most read authors, and The Power Of Your Subconscious Mind, One Indian Girl, Chanakya In You, and the Harry Potter series were among the most borrowed eBooks