Amazon.in flagged off its Great Indian Festival 2018 as the biggest day ever with record-breaking sales across categories. Smartphones led the opening day sales with three out of four phones sold in the country being on Amazon.in. Large appliances saw a massive 30X growth over an average business day driven by huge spike in all key categories such as TVs, refrigerators, washing machines, dishwashers among others. Amazon Fashion saw its biggest day ever while consumables saw huge jumps over the previous largest day sales.
In smartphones, the market leading brands in both mass and premium segment – Xiaomi and OnePlus – saw their biggest single day sales ever on Amazon.in. While Xiaomi sold more than a million devices in a single day, OnePlus saw a record pre-booking of their new launch OnePlus 6T. Large Appliances overall grew 2.5X buoyed by refrigerators. Brands such as BPL, LG and Bosch saw massive demand.
We are delighted and humbled how customers have responded to the Great Indian Festival to provide us with the biggest opening ever with more Prime members shopping than ever before.
“We are delighted and humbled how customers have responded to the Great Indian Festival to provide us with the biggest opening ever with more Prime members shopping than ever before. We are delighted also that our efforts to bring the next 100M customers online are clearly paying off as we saw more new customers acquired on this day than any day in the last three years. This was also helped by our various financing options that saw a great pick up to ensure no budget constraints got in the way of our customers to fulfill their aspirations this season.” said Manish Tiwary, Vice President - Category Management, Amazon India.
Overall scale, Reach and customer response:
· More new customers in newer towns and cities experienced Amazon shopping with 2.7X new Customer Acquisition in Tier II and III cities.
· Sellers across diverse categories such as mattresses to fine jewelry to home decor to men’s apparel to foot massagers have witnessed a growth in the range of 2X-30X in just a single day
· Over 1,300 sellers crossed the millionaire mark
· Thousands of sellers had their best 1 day sale ever
Prime continues to thrill customers
· Prime members shopped more during Prime Early Access than on any previous day, including Prime Day 2018.
· More than 2X members joined Prime during the early access period over last year, attracted by the tremendous deals and our fast delivery promises
· Members loved the Mi Pro TVs with both models selling out within 10 seconds of going on sale
· Prime Members shopped 3X more make-up and grooming devices with offers up-to 70% off on top brands like- Maybelline, Fitbit and Lakme.
· 57% of Prime members in metros and 49% of members across the country who ordered during Prime Early Access will start enjoying their purchases within 2 days.
Categories customers loved
· Smartphones led the Amazon Great Indian Festival Day 1 Sales
· Xiaomi sold more than a million devices in a day*
· OnePlus sees record booking worth INR 400 cr
· Samsung sold 12X over average business day volumes with Galaxy S9 and Galaxy Note8 being the best-sellers at their lowest ever pricing.
· Motorola witnessed an incredible start in the Amazon Great Indian Festival selling more than 36X of a regular day’s sale in just 36 hours
· Large appliances grew 2.5X in the first day of the Great Indian Sale over last Diwali led by Bosch, BPL Washing machines and Refrigerators grew 3X & ACs grew 2X respectively
· Sold as many side-by-side refrigerators on Day 1 as the rest of India together
· Highest ever sales of dishwashers in a day in India selling 2 out of every 3 dishwashers in the country
· Sold more front-loading washing machines than any other retailer in the country, accounting for 40% of the sales in India
· We sold as many TVs in a single day as all of India usually buys in a day to see a nearly 3.5X spike Y-o-Y
· Amazon Fashion opens to unprecedented rush on Day 1 of Great Indian Festival with well over 100% growth in sales over last year
· Top brands on Amazon Fashion including American Tourister, UCB, Puma, Biba, Shoppers Stop, Casio, Fastrack saw a sales growth of 10-15X over an average business day
· Amazon’s own brands in the fashion category saw a 400% growth in sales over last year
· The Shoes category saw a 150%+ growth in sales over last year. Specifically, women shoppers on Amazon Fashion loved their shoes shopping with a 350% growth in sales over last year.
· Apparel was the largest category on Amazon Fashion with more than double the sale of Great Indian festival last year
· Luggage and travel gear saw a growth of 130% in sales over last year.
· Customers took to festive shopping with jewelry doing 3X of sales compared to last year.
We have been associated with Amazon India for the last 4 years and the Great Indian Festive is always the most sought after event for our business. We've had super successful Diwali sales in the last few years and this year's start has also been a blockbuster. Our business is already witnessing over 4X jump and we still have 4 more days to go! I'm sure this Diwali will break all our previous records.
Home & Kitchen
· Kitchen Appliance grew 3X vs last Diwali, driven by subcategories like water purifiers, mixer grinders & air purifiers. We Sold one mixer grinder every 4 seconds in the last 24 hours. Gas stoves grew by 15x YoY, driven by brands like Elica & Prestige.
· Home category clocked highest ever single day sale, growing 2x YoY led by brands like Recron, Bombay Dyeing and Amazon’s private label Solimo. Customers shopped for festive and gifting items like tea lights, bedsheet sets and string lights.
· Furniture sales grew 3X YoY, driven by customer’s trust in choosing Beds, Sofa, Mattresses and other home furniture. Mattresses saw a tremendous growth of 12x vs last Diwali led by brands like Wakefit, Centuary & Coirfit
· Automotive enthusiasts have chosen Amazon as the preferred online store with sales in Motorbike accessories growing by 3X vs last Great Indian Festival, dominated by sale from Helmet brands like Vega, Steelbird
· Tyres saw a whopping jump in sales by growing 10X YoY.
· Fire TV Stick: Customers purchased 3X more Fire TV Stick during the Prime Early access compared to Day 1 of the last Great Indian Festival.
· Fire TV Stick was also the second highest selling product on Amazon.in.
· Echo: Echo Dot was amongst the top 10 highest selling products on Amazon.in. Customers showed keen interest in smart home products. Customers purchased more Alexa-enabled smart bulbs in 12 hours than the entire previous month
· Third party Alexa Built-in devices
· Alexa Built-in headphones did higher than their monthly sales volume in a single day and 40X of BAU.
· Alexa Built-in speakers sold 18X of BAU.
· Kindle: Customers purchased more Kindle Paperwhites in the first 12 hours compared to the entire previous month (Sep)