Indians are upbeat about shopping and are increasing online spending this festive season. According to a study conducted by Nielsen Media* on behalf of Amazon India, 81% of consumers are keen to shop during this festive season. Online shopping sentiment remains bullish not just across metros but also tier 2 and 3 cities. Over 78% consumers trust online shopping; 68% consumers have identified Amazon.in as their go-to and convenient online shopping destination with almost half identifying Amazon.in as the most trusted and loved online brand for festive shopping. Over 77% consumers affirm that online festive shopping events enhance convenience of their online shopping experience with options like faster delivery.
The festive period is the favourite time for consumers and sellers across India. We are inspired to learn that consumers this year are most excited and willing to spend and shop more online. We are humbled to know that consumers across India find Amazon.in to be the most trusted, preferred, and loved online shopping destination.
"As a marketplace, we are excited for our sellers and customers, and confident that the Amazon Great India Festival 2023 will offer a seamless shopping experience, incredible value, widest selection of domestic and international brands and products, and unmatched convenience for consumers across India." said Manish Tiwary, Country Manager India Consumer Business, Amazon India.
Here are more insights from the Nielsen Media study commissioned by Amazon India.
Preferred destination for smartphones, gadgets and appliances
- Amazon.in is the most preferred online brand for consumers to shop this festive season across large appliances (51%), mobiles/smartphones (44%), consumer electronics (43%)
- 3 in 4 consumers wait for online festive shopping events to purchase large appliances as these events give them access to new brands and product launches across products
- 2 in 3 consumers are keen on buying 5G-enabled smartphones
- 60% of consumers look forward to buying affordable smartphones in the 10,000-₹20,000 price range
Trendy festive fashion at your fingertips
- ~80% of the consumers say that online shopping events during the festive season offer access to trendy apparel, footwear, and fashion accessory brands
- Nearly 64% are interested in purchasing across categories this festive season, with Gen Z (69%) consumers taking the lead in their preference for apparel, footwear and fashion accessories
- 77% consumers say online shopping offers convenient features such as virtual try-on, sizing charts, and ‘shop the look’ prompts
Vibrant celebrations with luxury brands
- 76% of Indian consumers purchase luxury and authentic beauty brands during online festive shopping events
- 74% of consumers are confident that online festive-led shopping events deliver genuine and original beauty products
Hassle-free online grocery shopping
- 76% of consumers say that online shopping events provide convenient delivery slots, effectively saving time
- 75% believe that online shopping events offer the finest quality grocery and everyday essential products during the festive season
- 41% consumers embrace Amazon.in for all their grocery needs, making it their most preferred brand to shop online this festive season
Smarter way to pay
Amazon makes it simple and convenient for you to shop with flexible payment options. The study finds that:
- Digital payment methods are on the rise with 42% of consumers choosing UPI for online festive shopping
- 57% indicated that their favoured digital payment method for earning rewards and cashback is UPI, especially during the festive season
*Note: All data is based on an independent study from Nielsen Media India, commissioned by Amazon Seller Services Private Limited. Amazon Seller Services Private Limited claim based on research conducted by Nielsen, between 9th August and 7th September 2023 with sample size of 8,159 across 35 cities pan India (Delhi NCR, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Pune, Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Lucknow, Jaipur, Guwahati, Nagpur, Vijayawada, Coimbatore, Kochi, Udaipur, Mathura, Jalandhar, Faizabad, Etawah, Durgapur, Gaya, Bardhaman, Vadodara, Nanded Waghala, Ujain, Jalna, Ahmednagar, Guntur, Anantapur, Gulbarga, Bellary, Vellore, and Tirunelveliy.